Buff Orpingtons....male or female?!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aggieterpkatie, Aug 7, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I bought these birds at an auction, and when they were in the pen it looked like there was 1 roo and 3 hens. Now, I know there's definitely one roo, but I'm not so sure about 2 of the others. I feel like I should definitely be able to tell if they're roos at this point, but I'm second guessing myself. Here are the pics:

Orp 1: I thought this was a hen.
    [​IMG]

Orp 2: This is definitely a roo.
    [​IMG]

Orp 3: Please tell me this is a hen.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get a picture of the fourth, but it's a hen and looks older maybe. I think all the birds are kinda young, and I don't think they're quite laying yet, so technically I guess they're either cockerels or pullets.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. kristen2678

kristen2678 Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Hen, roo, roo......

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Songster

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I think they are all three cockerels.

4. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    All 3 are roosters.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Agreed. BO Hens don't have big tails like that- they're more round. I've got a few too many BO roos myself. They're so pretty, looks like I'll be making that rooster coop after all.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    All 3 are roos. You can see the pointy saddle feathers on all of them.

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    [​IMG] Darn it. I saw those saddle feathers as well. Darn!! Hopefully I can sell them and make back what I paid for them. UGH!

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:Agree... sorry

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

It may just be the lighting, but to me, #2 doesn't look like a pure BO. Is he a cross of some kind? None of my BOs have brown in them, they're all golden, some lighter than others, but not brown or brownish.

10. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:I'm not sure. The lighting in the picture is a lot more washed out than he is IRL. He is much more upright than the others though. I traded either the first or the third with a coworker. She gave me one of her layers. I was planning on keeping the second roo, but should I keep one of the others instead?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: