Buff Orpingtons secluding themselves?

Blondefarmgirl

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
Anacortes, WA
My flock is pretty much free range. The hang out around the property all day and the. Sleep in a 5x10ft shed at night. I have a rooster, 2 Cochins, 2 Wyandottes, 2 Australorps, and 2 Araucanas. I just got 4 Buff Opringtons and 2 RIR from the same home and all 6 stay in the back of the shed. Should I be concerned? I was also thinking of getting another rooster. Would that help with rallying up all the hens?

If you added the new ones without a side-by-side introduction period, I'd say you are fortunate that no attacking is hapening. they will integrate themselves in time -- or not. Sometimes they form themselves into two "sub flocks," remaining essentially separate for moths or longer, even if they reach the point tha they sleep and eat side by side. I'd just let them do their thing as long as there is no serious fighting, as in drawing blood. Good luck!

The new ones are 2-3 years. So the same age or older than mine. I put the in the coop and let them wake up there. I tried moving them out into the yard but they ended up back in the coop. There hasn't been much fighting at all.

How long have you had them?

It might just take time......you want to home them to their new coop anyway, maybe they are homing themselves.

A week. I have to bring them food and water because they won't come out. I just feel bad that there's so much land and they want to stay in the back of a shed :(

I also think the lady I got them from only kept them in a small coop. Is it possible they're just not used to being out? @flockwatcher

It's possible, yes. Aart has a good point, too. It may also be wanting to stay away from the rest of the flock. I imagine some people would set them outside and maybe even close up the coop for a day or part of a day to keep them out, but that might alter the development of their pecking order. I would probably do this at some point if they were mine, but I'd supervise closely, in case some serious fights developed. Maybe late in the day, when theyd be going back in to sleep in an hour or two, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom