Buff Orpingtons - sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CHICKENLADY123, Jun 14, 2008.

1. CHICKENLADY123

CHICKENLADY123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    I have some chicks approx. 5-6 weeks old. Is there a way I can tell the sex of them. They are for my daughter's 4-H project and we just lost our leader. I have 4 chicks whom all have combs and waddles. I cannot send pictures yet, but would like to know if there are other outward signs to look for. They are all enormous.

2. CHICKENLADY123

Jun 14, 2008
    [​IMG]
    No. 1 Very quiet and smaller
    [​IMG]
    No. 2 This is my biggest one.
    [​IMG]
    No 3 Medium size & gentle
    [​IMG]
    Chick no. 4 still unknown.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am thinking 1 and 2 are males and 3 and 4 are females but I am not too good at the orps

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm also thinking 1,2 are males and 3,4 are females. Yours are about 2 months younger then my orps and my males and females looked about the same as yours at that stage.

5. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    1,2 are roosters 3 is a pullet and 4 could go either way...looks kinda roosih to me. I've had a lot of late bloomers though. [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    boy, boy, girl,girl

7. CHICKENLADY123

Jun 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone. Now I just have to match the picture to the chicken [​IMG]

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to get rid of roosters ? Apparently, out of 10 chickens, I have 5 roosters.

I am in Central California, but is there a "general" forum to give them away ?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, there's a general form here on BYC.... on the Index page, scroll down to Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade. Post a blurb there with your location in the subject line.

Carla

9. bufforphfan

bufforphfan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Arizona
    [​IMG] A male buff orphington has a dark spot on its head and the female does not! The spot is very obvious, making it easy to distinguish between male-female. Hope that helps you.

10. offshorewife

offshorewife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Quote:Buff do you happen to have or know where i can find a good photo depicting this? I have 6 Buffs that are 5 weeks old and starting to show signs of sex. I'd love to see this dark spot you speak of.

Warmly,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by