Buff-Orpingtons

mountainpridefarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I feel like I just realized an awesome DP breed that has been right in front of my eyes! Buff Orpingtons seem to be great. As I have stated before I will be purchasing from McMurray this year and in addition to the dark cornish I am thinking some BO. I have been told that they make a nice broiler at 12 weeks which is perfect! The only problem is the white skin....is this undesirable? Has anybody raised BO from McMurray for meat birds? Where can I find a picture of one dressed?

Orpingtons are not ready to be slaughtered at 12 weeks. You might be thinking of the Cornish X. Birds that are dual purpose lay a good number of eggs and have enough meat on their bodies to give a good meal. It takes about 1-2 years till they are ready. If you want a Heritage Meat Bird, I would say go for Jersey Giants. They take long to mature, but I have been told they are very good Meaties and Egg-layers.

My orps wouldn't have made a snack at 12 weeks. They are big fluffy birds now but There's a lot of feathers to subtract before you get to the meat level..

My BO is almost 8 weeks old and would just barely fit on a biscuit - but it would be an awfully cute biscuit!

We also got Buff Orpingtons last year from McMurray, we processed the roos at 18 weeks and once they were done they were all around four pounds. I will try to post pics.

46778_nov_2009_087.jpg

46778_nov_2009_090.jpg

46778_nov_2009_097.jpg

Hope these work, and help
smile.png

Quote:
Thank YOU SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was looking to see (though don't anybody hesitate to post more). They seem like they are decent birds and I am absolutely fine with 18 weeks. The legs look odd to me, not sure why...?

Okay so just looked back and the legs are weird because that is a cooked EE. Sorry I should of looked more carefully, now for an even more embarrassing point... they look weird because I cut the skin down so my kids would not know which rooster we were eating. sorry again but they were all about the same size....

Back
Top Bottom