Buff Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissChessy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    I noticed a lot of folks on BYC have Buff Orpingtons. What is special about the Buff Orpingtons? Can someone give me a little lesson on the BO profile?

I made a boo boo. I wanted 5 brown egg layers and 10 white egg layers and I ended up with 15 white egg layers. LOL! They are the Danish Brown Leghorns, Production Black and Plymouth Rocks. These chicks are just 2 weeks old now. Would like to know more about Buff Orpingtons.

Thanks!

2. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I have two so I am not an expert, but....
    They are good layers of beautiful light brown eggs.
    They have a robust and beautiful fluffy body.
    Gentle and have a good temperament.
    And mine free range very well.
    So ...over all a good bird. Mine are buff...but I have some blue/black/splash eggs on the way.
    I do recommend them highly!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My "website" has a page featuring my five Buff Orps.

Everything GAHen says is true, so I can't add more. But I would say that since they are light-colored, they are easier targets for predators if they are free-ranged.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I love my BOs. They are very laid back, even my rooster, Caesar. They lay great for me, I have 13 - 8 mo old pullets and get approx. 10-13 eggs per day. My roo takes good care of his girls and has never attacked me. I even have a couple hens that come up to me and want to be picked up. I picked this breed because I thought it would be a good match for my little daughter and son. I love 'em.

5. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Orpington breeds are just about the sweetest breed I have ever raised. I have had numerous flocks of buffs over the years. They are so gentle and docile.
    I currently have buff and white orps but am working on getting some blue orps.
    Bottom line: you simply can't go wrong with orps in my opinion for whatever that is worth.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

MissChessy...Your Plymouth rocks are brown egg layers.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Only the Brown Leghorns should be white egg layers, the other two should both lay brown.

8. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    A couple fo reasons I got BO's was their nature- someone described them as the golden retrievers of the chicken world. Their large size makes them less vunerable from predators, and their food to egg ratio is rated one of the best.
    But the thing I like best is their fuzzy butts. They look like they are wearing pantaloons.

9. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I got BO's was their nature- someone described them as the golden retrievers of the chicken world

Yeah that is a great description of them.....

10. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    :eek: Wow, Golden Retrievers of the chicken world. I'll have to try and get me some one day. I think I have seen a lady here in town with Buff Orpingtons and they look like they have pantyloons on. I wish I would have gotten some BO! Maybe if I can convince my husband to take me to the Texas Bash on Memorial weekend, we can find someone to swap a bo with whatever I bring there. Thanks so much for everyone's input.

You know, I looked on Ideal Poultry and the hens I got show they are white egg layers. Maybe I'm all goofed up. I'll go back and make sure I got the right ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by