buff orpingtons

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by my10rugrats, Aug 23, 2014.

1. my10rugrats

my10rugrats New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    we bought 5 babys in april. 1 has turned out to be a rooster but thats fine with us. we have one that is the smallest of the 4 pullets. she started laying last friday(8-15). we have gotten an egg a day from her and they are still all small eggs. she reminds me of a batam size chicken. how much long will it be before our other 3 should start laying and does this breed have batams?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you get a photo of her next to one of your normal Orpingtons? There are Orpington bantams, though they are not very common.

If she isn't a bantam, her eggs may or may not increase in size if given time. I have a large fowl Wyandotte which layed kind of small eggs when she started--probably medium sized. Now that she is three years old, though, the eggs are of a pretty good size. After each molt, they got a little larger.

4 1/2 months is a little young for chickens to begin laying, so your small egg layer is a little unusual. Most birds are 18-20 weeks old when they start laying. I expect that your other hens will begin laying within 1-2 months.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your other birds should start laying in a couple weeks. When they get close to laying, their combs and wattles will get redder and larger, and they may begin to "squat" on the ground when you reach down to pet them. Usually, Orpingtons start laying at around 5-7 months old.

Yes, this breed does have bantams. However, the large fowl Orpingtons are probably more common. Unless your small pullet is substantially smaller than the others, she likely isn't a bantam. Bantam Orpingtons only weight about two pounds.

4. my10rugrats

my10rugrats New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    i will get a picture of them later when it cools off enough for me to go out side. thank you for your responses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by