Buff Orpington's

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcourtney6, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mcourtney6

mcourtney6 New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    New Jersey
    Hi I'm new to the site..I have 6 Buff Orpington's all 20 weeks..I have a question. 3 of them I think are close to laying..their comb and wattles are big and really red, and they are singing up a storm. one of them, her beak is split, and is very long. has this happened to anyone else? If it breaks will it grown back?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you have a hen with a bad beak. My advice to you would be to post a pic of the hens beak in the emergencies injuries cure section of the forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    I'm sure the experts over there will be able to help you.
    Good luck on the eggs hope you have some soon. Sounds very promising!
    Enjoy BYC :frow

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your bird with the beak issue. Do you have a picture we can look at? Beaks are like finger nails and they continue to grow all throughout the life of the bird. Sometimes you can file the beak down or trim off long ones, however you never want to cut into the blood vein that is in the beak.

Can the bird still eat and drink ok? If so, this probably isn't much to worry about as it will grow out. But if you can, post a pic up here so we can see. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. mcourtney6

mcourtney6 New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    New Jersey
    Not sure if my reply post worked..I'll post it again

I have a funny story...we have 3bantam hens and a bantam rooster in addition to our 6 buffs!! My husband and I have been making the pen larger..while expanding it we have had all of the birds together..the bantams are being really mean to the buff so we still have them separated the buffs are in the garage..my son came up to me yesterday and said I found this egg on the ground in the pen..I thought hmmm that's weird maybe one of the buffs stole it out of the box (one of our bantams used to do that) I didn't think anything of it..after I put this post up this morning I walked out in the garage where the buffs are and saw an egg I was soo excited, I brought it inside and my husband looked at it and said I new one of the buffs layed that egg yesterday..it was just a hair bigger then the bantam eggs..soo happy v-day to us! I'm thinking the one with the split beak layed it :) she is eating fine and drinking ok so I'm just going to leave it..I think it's strangely larger then the rest it kind of curls under! Here is a pic. They all wanted to get in the shot!
    [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the pic! That should grow out over time. To prevent it from splitting further, you might towel her up and lay her on your lap. Get a human nail file and gently file some of that off once a week. Not a lot at a time. And remember it is like a finger nail so there are no nerves in the end of it. The split could continue to grow, so if I were you, I would file a bit off each week until it is completely grown out. :)

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in a PM!!

Good luck with the flock!!

-Turkenstein25

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice. Good luck with your Orpingtons! I hope her beak turns out fine.[​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. mcourtney6

mcourtney6 New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    New Jersey
    Thank you..I will try to file it a little bit and see how she is with it. I just don't want it to split all the way up. The pic isn't the greatest it doesn't look as big in the pic but it was the best I could get!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by