Buff Orps squating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 24, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 2 buff orps that are 19 weeks that I have seen squatting in the yard. Is this a sign of the laying cycle? I may be just hoping but they are getting more vocal and are now doing this strange pasturing. Some of their combs and wattles are getting bright red. Can someone fill me in? When first laying will they just drop an egg anywhere? John

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope your nest boxes are ready...heh.

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Squatting can be a sign that the pullets are getting ready to begin laying but no one can tell you when exactly they will start. When they do begin to lay they will lay about anywhere they want. One thing you can do is to leave them in the coop a little longer in the morning and put plastic or fake eggs in the net boxes to help "teach" them where to lay. I hope this helps I am by no means an expert but this is my experience.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Nest boxes are ready with golf balls in place. Just waiting. John

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Where are you when they are squatting? If you are nearby they are squatting out of submission and waiting for you to mate them. You are the top roo in the hen house. Nothing like some chickie love [​IMG]

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I have a hen that was squatting on the rafter's of my front pourch. I had set back and watched her thinking maybe she was finding some choicy bug's or something & then splat, she layed her first egg. I would have to watch out over my head for a couple of week's until she found the nest box. lol

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    ... then splat, she layed her first egg. I would have to watch out over my head for a couple of week's until she found the nest box.

OMG that's funny. Nothing like getting egged by your chicken in the rafters.

BOMBS AWAY!
    [​IMG]

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    lol that's funny

9. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I have 14 ten month old pullets that have been squatting for many months. I was told it was a sign of submission so I have always taken the time to pick them up and handle them. I don't have a rooster...guess I am it. I notice they will squat with shoulders hunched sometimes even if I just look at them. They are a very friendly and tame flock and picking them up gives me the opportunity to check their health. I am assuming this is normal?
    Anne

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Very normal, Anne. You are top roo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by