Buff orps.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I have a Buff Orp that is 19 weeks, when do Buff Orps start to lay?

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Anyone?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine all started to lay around 22 to 23 weeks....might take her longer since the days don't have enough light now and its cold in most places... or she might wait til Spring........This weather is making things effy....warm one day and zero the next....

4. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Don't know, mine are well over 22 weeks and are not laying yet. (not sure EXACTLY what age mine are, but they do have really red big combs.)

sigh.

good luck with yours.

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My buff orpingtons started to lay on the first day of week 24.

6. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I have two that are 26 weeks old and have not laid an egg yet. The smaller of the two has a comb that is getting redder, but the other one, who is much larger than any of my girls, has a very immature comb.

Good thing we have a sex-link and an australop that have been laying since they were 20 weeks old.

My barred rock has yet to lay an egg either, but she is a really, really nice hen, so we forgive her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  7. DrumStick

DrumStick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    Our Buff Orp. started laying at 26 weeks.

8. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    I know it takes 5 months(20 weeks) for a hen to lay, but I'm not quite sure.........Maybe she's soon to lay some pretty eggs, but since it's winter, it might pause for a while.......oh but I heard buff orpingtons do not stop laying at winter.......Good for you!

9. linpach farms

linpach farms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    I have 7 Buff Orps and they all started laying between 19-22 weeks. Good Luck!

10. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    our Queenie started right at 20 weeks and has layed almost every single day since! She is awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by