Buff Plymouth Rock death

oldewayfarm

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

We have recently purchased 9 hens and 1 Rooster (all Plymouth Rocks). We got 3 Buff's, 3 Barred, and 3 Partridge. In the last 2 months, 2 of our Buff's have died. We have no idea from what, as they seemed healthy with no signs of illness or injury. About 3 weeks ago one of them started isolating herself and didn't eat or drink much. She slowly got worse and worse and after about 5-7 days she died. She was skinny when she passed, even though I saw her eating and drinking from time to time, just not at the same level as before. Then another Buff started showing the same symptoms about a week ago and died yesterday. We bought our birds from a guy who 'shows' them, as they were beautiful birds and well taken care of. Has anyone heard of any sort of weakness in this colour of heritage bird? So far none of our other Plymouth's have displayed any signs so it just appears to be the two Buffs. We're wondering if it's a genetic issue from overbreeding?

Sounds like an illness. I assume you didn't send a bird for necropsy. That is the only way to know what you're dealing with. Every state and most countries have poultry labs (often at vet schools) that will do it.
I suggest if you have another with the same symptoms soon, that you send it off.

No we weren't able to send them away as both times they passed away on a weekend. The vet school said they need to receive within 24 hours and we wouldn't have been able to get the birds there within the time frame.Plus the fees are quite high for the service and shipping (over $100). :( I was hoping someone may have heard of a genetic weakness, but if we lose another I don't think we will have a choice but to send them away for necropsy.

The necropsy will be more definitive if you take/send a live bird exhibiting the same symptoms.

I drove 7 hours round trip to take a hen for necropsy which was $80. It was well worth it to find she had cancer and I didn't have to cull or treat the rest of my rare birds.

Back
Top Bottom