buff polish hen acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davecash, Sep 10, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    alright she seems really brittle and she seems just really week. i pick her up and she lays on her side in my hand.. my friend who gave her to me said he might not have fed her.. but shes starting to eat a little bit now.. what could be wrong? will she get normal?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is she? How long have you had her? How was she cared for by your friend? I don't quite get the 'might not have fed her' but I'm sure he didn't starve her, right? Is she drinking?

3. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    she isnt drinkign much. ive had her for one day, and he just noticed her being weak when he gave her to me.. i dont think he fed them enough

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

"might not have fed her"??? What?? Jeesh...the poor thing!!! Im sure she is weak from starvation! I would try starting her on boiled egg yolks.....something soft...maybe soften some feed with yogurt. Make sure she has access to grit of some kind. Might not hurt to put some electrolytes in her water as well. KEEP HER QUARANTINED from your other birds, just in case she has a comunicable disease. Check her for mites/lice. I hope she makes it. Good save!!

5. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    what kinda yogurt? shes eatin the rergular food nicely out of my hand.

6. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Quote:KK, tonight might not be the best night for me to be reading things like this. How can your friend be unsure whether he fed her or not. He either did or he didn't. If he didn't, he needs jack slapped. Why would someone go and bring home an animal to care for and then not take care of it. I hope I'm not reading more into this than necessary. I'm here watching a kitten slowly die because another owner didn't want to meet the expectations and consequences of not taking care of her animals. I'll bow out gracefully now before I become enraged or tick someone off really bad.

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Plain yogurt davecash. Make sure you have some grit as well.

8. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    do i mix grit in with the yogurt/feed mix?

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hi DaveCash - if she's eating chick food and soft foods she doesn't need grit right now. She needs good nutrition immediately. In addition to cooked egg yolk, or shredded cheese, you can also soak some dry cat food or feed her some wet cat food if you have it. All are high in protein and if your friend has not been feeding the chick properly she could be in serious trouble. Food for baby chicks should be provided around the clock so it should be impossible to forget whether or not it has been fed. If she isn't drinking much she needs fluids. By feeding her the wet cat food and other moist foods she will get some fluids that way but try and get her to drink by dribbling some water on the side of her beak. Take extra special care of her. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  10. davecash

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    okay tomorrow i will feed her wet catfood and some shredded cheese

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by