Buff Polish roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amydanielle147, Sep 13, 2016.

1. amydanielle147

amydanielle147 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    California
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Mr. Peckerwood! Our newest addition to the flock! He was sitting in a crate at a feed store for probably 2 or 3 months, so when I saw they were selling him as a rooster and he was on sale for $5, I figured there was no reason not to get him. However I'm not so sure he's a rooster anymore. I've never heard him crow, he's never tried to mount, when we first integrated it was hens going after him, not roosters, and I've seen the roosters mount him a few times. I've never owned a polish so I wouldn't know how to sex them, is Mr. Peckerwood a hen?

2. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    I'm not sure if those are saddle feathers but his tail, or girl feathers. Do you know how old he/she is? If he was old enough to be called a roo, and then at the store for a few months, then he is probably a she. I'm also not seeing any signs of a red comb. It's harder to see with crested birds, but I'm thinking if she/he's at least 2 months, then it should be more obvious by now.

Of course I could be wrong, but for now, I'm leaning toward girl. The other hens pecked on her because 1)She's new, & 2) She looks differnt than them with the crested head.

No matter if she's a boy or a girl, she's a beautiful bird.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a female to me. Can we get a more broadside picture please?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

5. levi76

levi76 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    That's a hen for sure! A roosters head feathers are much more spikey! $5 is a really good steal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by