Buff Rooster or a mis-identified breed?

savannahm0m

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Savannah
We got a couple chickens from a local feed store a few weeks ago. Included were two Buff Orpingtons. These were supposed to be pullets, but of course, there is never a guarantee. One of the Buffs seemed to be a late bloomer, losing the egg tooth a few days later than the rest, and developing wing feathers a full week later than the other Buff. We figured we had a rooster. Well now, the feathers are coming in and they are about a shade darker than our confirmed Buff. So we are wondering if there was a possibility that maybe we got a Red Sex Link or even another breed...or maybe it's just a rooster. We'll find out as it keeps growing. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with these breeds? We are just hopefully that it's a hen because we have become rather attached to it!

With the buff orps that I had, which were hatchery birds, the rooster was a little darker than the hens. I don't know if he was that way as a chick because I got him as an adult from a friend that didn't want him anymore.

ETA This does not mean yours is a buff orp rooster, need pictures for that

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

If you post a picture we can give you a good idea.

I have to wait till it warms up a bit here in Georgia! While we haven't been in the freezing temps, it's been quite chilly. We were keeping the babies in an aquarium in our kitchen, but they outgrew it, and are now in a brooder box on the screened porch. This weekend is promising sunshine and warmth so I hope to get updated pics of all my babies!

Back
Top Bottom