Buff Silkie Baby! Dark Feathers? DQ?? PICS!!

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
Okay, i moved this over from "raising baby chicks" because i didn't get many responses.
However, it is still over there because i don't know how to delete stuff....

sorry!

has developed some dark brown spotting on his main wing feathers...

he is only like five weeks old

so is he just dirty?

or is that normal?

is it a DQ if it stays like that?

PICTURES!!!!

41973_dsc00343.jpg

41973_dsc00342.jpg

41973_dsc00347.jpg

41973_dsc00348.jpg

Last edited:
I am no expert. I do not show, and am not interesting in showing. However, my buff silkies came from "show quality," I was told. For what it's worth, they all have the dark coloring that you are describing.

Sometimes those will moult out as they grow in adult plumage. I don't think it's a DQ, but you will lose points for color present other than buff. For best scoring, the buff color should be even throughout and the undercolor should closely match as well.

I have a 5 week old buff too. It was sold to me as coming from SQ parents & It looks like it has the potential to be an extremely nice bird.
But it has changed color almost weekly LOL!
Right now has dark feathers in it's wings like yours does. I have a feeling that because buff is a combination of colors, that as we are waiting for the permanent colors we may see quite a bit else. Just a guess that it is normal.

Okay thank you

KatyTheChickenLady,

Your little buff seems to have more brown, but it is lighter than the dark specs on my buff's feathers. I have no idea what that means

cute baby though!!!

crazy isn't it? it's more grey than brown and it really just came out this week. Last week the red really showed. The lady I got the egg from is very assertive about the fact that her birds are clear buffs with no red showing through so I am going to assume that it will fade or go away with age until proven different.

One can describe the parents, and what they are known to have produced in the past, but virtually all birds carry some hidden genes, and will occasionally produce unexpected results. Of course that is one thing breeders work at removing, but when the hidden genes only show once in a blue moon, it can be hard to find them. And too often it is blamed upon one parent, whereas in reality it is probably a result of both parents contribution.

When you purchase eggs rather than chicks or adults, the knowns/unknowns are even stronger. One reason that I do not and will not sell eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Of course that makes perfect sense. I always love your experienced input Sonoran!
I recognized that risk when I bought my eggs, and should my bird turn out funny colored I would in no way hold it against the breeder as I have seen how lovely her stock is. to think differently would be akin to saying your kids will turn out nice because you are a nice person . . . we all know how often that doesn't work out! lol!
So do you think they have a chance of out growing these funny colored feathers? I am only guessing and hoping for my part, your input would be great!

Back
Top Bottom