Buff silkie chick question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Is it easy to tell a buff silkie froma white silkie? I just passed some 7 day chicks up that were yellow, but some orange on them.. However, their wing feathers looked to be coming in white. I was looking for a buff silkie. What does a buff silkie chick look like? Thanks!

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Some of my whites started out with buff down, however their first wing feathers were white, so the chicks you saw were white.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is interesting; I am hearing about white silkies with yellow down recently, but I have only ever encountered two in my own breeding, and what I have heard over the years from other breeders tends to also reflect white down for white chicks. The two that I have with yellow down were very pale yellow, not at all like the colour of buff down.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Did they look like the chick on the right? These were the very first Silkies I hatched from my birds. I know they are white because I only have White Silkies.

[​IMG]

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Wow, that is interesting... so the fact that the wing feathers were white doesn't necessarily mean they were white silkies?

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes! She looked like that. I was looking for buff, and the owner said she thought they were buff. But, when I looked better, I seen the wing feathers were white.. Sounds good I didn't take her. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by