Buff Silkie Cockerel - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Dec 17, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This is one of my males I hatched out this year. He is *probably* around 5-6 months old. What do you think of him?

He is a deeper golden color than in the pictures, which I think will provide some nice color to his offspring.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

He has molted out some of the off coloring in his tail. Hope he gets rid of some more.

2. chikincrazee

chikincrazee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Hi he looks like a pretty nice boy ..love his color...we have a dark buff rooster and a lighter one who has a huge fluffy coat but has a redder comb ....do you have girls the same color as him or lighter...I have seen your birds on the ASBC site and they are very nice...Chris

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Since I don't raise buff I have been wondering if you want darker buffs, lighter buffs or medium? Nice cockerel no matter the color. Especially nice comb, I think and just the right color. I understand that buffs tend to have lighter combs occasionally...is that correct?

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:I think he should come live with me! [​IMG]

I like him - he seems to shine [​IMG]

Comb, ears, crest....all nice to me.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Very nice, especially for a youngster. He will be spectacular when he grows up.

6. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I remember reading somewhere you want the color of the buff to be like a guinea coin. But the most important thing is getting the color as even as you can.

Yes, buffs it is hard to get dark combs. The first year I bred them almost all of the roosters I hatched out had red combs. I read something on the ASBC board and apparently Buffs carry the Di (dilute) gene which affects their comb/skin color.

This year I was pleased to see several boys with combs this dark. [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I have some girls nice and dark buffs like him, and some lighter. Thanks Chris.

8. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    I think he looks Great.

What is the differrance between Buff and Red Silkies?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The hue. Also, buff is a diluted colour; usually with Di, but using ig or Cb are possible. Red is not diluted, and is instead enhanced; ideally with mahogany, but possibly with autosomal red. Ar tends to give a patchier colouring, and is something you do not want in buffs.

Most US reds are fairly light compared with teh European ones which have mahogany, and are similar in colour and shade to a show quality RIR.

A buff should look like a bright golden coin; a red should not be "bright," but rather look like a medium to dark red: like Maureen O'Hara's hair colour.

10. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    If you are breeding for Porcelains/Isabelles would you breed a darker buff or a lighter buff for best results?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by