buff silkie gender confirmation help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Apr 3, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay... so this sweetie has been a girl in my head for weeks now. She is round, round, round. She walks like a girl and stands like a girl. Everything about her screams girl. However, I noticed this afternoon that her comb has a pinkish tint to it. None of my other girls have a pinkish tint. ACK! She has been sold as a pullet and is to be shipped across country tomorrow. I don't want to ship her if there is any chance she is not a she.
    What do the silkie experts think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I say ship her, she's good to go!

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So you think she's a girl also? Darn silkies make me crazy with their screwy gender.

Do you ever see females with pinkish combs in your lighter colored silkies?

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I don't have any with any pinkish colored combs, but I do have some hens that have good sized combs. My flock was scalped by a Buff orp Hen and they are all bald now, so I can see their combs really good. Didn't ever realize they were that large on a hen.

Honestly, I don't see anything that screams roo to me at all. She has pullet body type, I see no streamers, I can't even see a comb on her. Her tail looks like a pullet. If she isn't a pullet, she should turn out to be a nice Cockerel [​IMG]

I have a Rooster that I thought was a pullet until he was almost 7 months old! Then all of sudden sprouted a comb and saddle feathers. He was a very late bloomer, but he is a pretty guy!

They drive me crazy too, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by