Buff silkie pullet- TN

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Mar 13, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This little girl was hatched last fall and is sweet as she can be. She is showing quite a bit of white in her undercoat, wings and tail. Her overall shape is lovely though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's her tush on the left. [​IMG]

I have recently completed NPIP testing and I'm now waiting on that paperwork to come back. Once I get it I can ship. Shipping will be $15 for the box and supplies plus the actual cost of shipping.
    I can also meet you in the greater Murfreesboro area.

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I absolutely love her! We have been wanting a silkie for a while now but did not want to order chicks from a hatchery. I was too afraid they would end up being roos...or looking really scruffy. how do you ship birds that aren't day old chicks, is it overnight express? is it to the post office or house?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG] She's actually looking a little scruffy in this shot. It has monsooned here lately and the silkies will insist on playing in the puddles. I don't know why they love toddling about in the mud so much, but of all of my chickens, they are most likely to be out playing in the rain. Silly chickens.

With adult birds you ship them overnight. I would assume that you would go to the post office rather than the box being driven around in the truck. I have never had an adult bird shipped here, but I would guess it is like the box of babies that comes to the post office.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Placed my bid! She is just too cute! Sorry for all the questions, we haven't ever ordered chicks from a hatchery. We just pick them up from our feed stores around here. I did order 2 corn snakes online though, and they were shipped overnight to our house.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yay! She's a sweetie!

I'm less of a hatchery and more of a breeder. My hatches are typically small and I am going more for overall quality in the line than mass production. I tend to only hatch out 8-12 at a time and then let them grow to see what is happening with that genetic mix. This little girl is from my last hatch last season. She's a little lighter in color than what I want for my breeding hens, so I am looking for a good home for her. Her form is nice and her personality is adorable. She's just showing a little too much white for my line. She should be a great pet silkie.

I'm so excited that you like her. She tickles me toddling about out there! [​IMG]

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Is she laying yet?

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Not yet. She hatched out last November so she's only 4 months old at this point. I have found that these show line silkies start later than hatchery birds. Most of them seem to start up around 8-9 months. Her mama started at about that point and then laid pretty consistently until winter got really dark and cold. They are all starting back up again now that the sun is staying out longer.

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    A silkie here would be more a pet anyways than a reliable egg layer. We have 2 EE's and a sex link for that!

9. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Ah shes too cute!

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I keep thinking it will dry out here and the mud will go away so I can get a good shot of her dry and not all funky looking. Sadly, about the time it gets dry another wave of rain comes through. Sheesh! Maybe later this week the weather will cooperate. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: