1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff silkie with clotted dried blood masses on his feet feathers.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undine, Oct 26, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    i was giving my silkie a bath and i noticed this big clump of manure looking thing stuck to his feet feather. the stubborn thing was so hard to wash off and eventually it gave in, but sadly it wasnt manure. that thing was dried blood on the bottom shaft area of one of his foot feathers..along with a string of blood that could be a nerve..idk. i dont know how this happened, and no i didnt pull hard on it. i was just rubbing it trying to get it loose and thats what happened lol so i guess it was my fault that this happened? anyway, idk how long the blood has been there, but there was a pretty decent amount of dried clotted blood.. It was on both of his feet but i didnt wanna bother with the other foot because just seeing this really scared me. Could someone tell me what happened and is this "normal"? What is it? SInce the thing slid out, it left a little tunnel in his feet.. it wouldnt stop bleeding so i applied a little pressure till it somewhat stopped, and applied vaseline because i dont have neosporin atm :(
    [​IMG]

this little silkie :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    You probably just pulled out a pin feather. Pin feathers are developing feathers and are very vascularized to bring nutrients to the developing feather. Hence they will bleed easily. There are no nerves directly attached to feathers, so don't worry, you didn't pull a nerve out. It's just part of the feather forming. The hole it left is the follicle. Once it heals another feather will start to grow again. Broken foot feathers are common in feather legged breeds.

3. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Yea thats what im guessing i did...but what explains the dried clotted blood around the shaft?

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Dried blood around shaft is from either he/she picking at own feathers,getting them caught or another bird pecking at feathers. Means feather shaft was previously damaged and blood had dried.

5. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Ouch.. thanks!

6. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by