Buff Silkies - eggs, hens, & roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by country flock, Oct 23, 2013.

1. country flock

country flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I have a small flock of 5 buff/partridge Silkies, totally free ranged. 2 roosters - Simba,P, & Snaps,B, and 3 hens - Saige,B, Summer,B, & Selena,P. :)

As of now, Simba & Snaps are getting along pretty good. Do you think this will continue or will major conflicts come up? They have been together since the day they hatched I think, but i previously had 2 light Sussex cocks also raised together, who started a bloody fight-to-the-death fight. I did intervene before they caused too much damage, but they ended up at the auction. :/

Saige (named after AG girl of the year ;)) is for sure laying, and I think Summer MIGHT be too, not sure though. Saige is sitting on 3 eggs right now but... this kinda seems like the wrong time of year for chicks, and I don't even know if they're fertile... Should I leave her try, or just take them...? :jumpy [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if i had chickens that nice there is no way i would let them sit in a free range situation. winter or summer. if she is broody build a pen around her to keep predators away. i have some sitting now but i will take the babies and have to keep the heat lamp on them probably for half the winter.

3. country flock

country flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, well I think I'll just take the eggs cause I checked & I don't believe they're fertile. :p It would've taken ages till they'd have hatched. ;) lol She would only sit for a few hours, then she'd go away and the eggs would get cold then she'd be back again, so apparently she wasn't serious. :/

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    how about putting a couple in the nest box where you would want her to lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by