1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Sussex - 7 weeks - Roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HarrisonCreek, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Boy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Girl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HarrisonCreek

HarrisonCreek Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    This chick is still smaller than his/her hatchmates, but is very outgoing. I'm thinking rooster? He/she has also developed a "cluck" long before the others, who are still peeping. Does that mean anything?

2. HarrisonCreek

Sep 14, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here's the photo:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That's a cockerel.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. Sorry. :eek:(

6. HarrisonCreek

Sep 14, 2014
    Thanks for the input. My daughter is sad - she liked this one.
    Is this a wait to be sure or would you take him back at this age? We've had one crowing this morning - not this one.
    Is it true that once one crows the others won't crow, so you're left guessing??

7. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    In my experience, that can be true. How old are the chicks? The cockerel in the picture looks pretty young to start crowing. I raised about 20 roosters to 6 months and several started early and continued to be dominant. Others began crowing later, and did it occasionally, avoiding the dominant roosters. The most submissive roosters (about 5 out of 20) never crowed. One of these submissive roosters was sold, so he may have begun crowing in an environment where he was the only rooster.

I wouldn't wait for the bird in the photo to mature any longer, because it shows several definite cockerel signs: the red, developed comb; the stance (pullets tend to be more horizontally carried); the tail feathers curling downward.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never had a cockerel crowing inhibit another bird of roughly the same age that I noticed. Older, dominant roosters can keep the young guys quiet in some cases, but age mates usually just crow competitively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by