Buff Sussex now has no feathers on neck - bleeding!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LisaLu, Nov 1, 2009.

1. LisaLu

LisaLu Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    I have a 1yr old Buff Sussex, she has always been then the most outgoing of the bunch. She has recently started to loose her feathers around her neck, and last week I walked into a coop full of blood. They others are pecking her neck, what is going on? I have her in a separate cage now, is this a behavior problem or could diet be a cause. I give them fresh cabbage, spinach, rice and bread almost everyday, along with lay mesh and scratch.

3 months ago, one of my Barren Plymouth Rock's had a simular problem with the bald neck, and we got the call from the house sitter that she was found dead. Could this be related?

Please help, I just love these birds, I'd hate to think my ignorance could be putting them in danger.

Thanks,
    LisaLu

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

It could be out of sheer boredom, lack of space, overcrowding etc..

Keep her seperate, perhaps spray on some PurpleSpray- speeds up the healing process, and stops other hens picking at her when she re-joins, as it tastes foul!

She may have been moulting, and some other hens got interested in the bare skin, so started to pick at her- cannabalism basically- feather picking.

There are 2 main reasons for feather loss on her neck- apart from moulting

1) Nothern Fowl Mite. A persistent external parasite. Hens scratch out their neck feathers, becvuase of the irrititation.

2) If a hen pushes her head through their wire mesh to get the grass on the other side etc... this also causes feather loss

To stop a hen from loosing feathers from Nothern Fowl Mite

If a few hens are affected wash them in a bucket of warm water with a gwentle disinfectant. Dunk the bird in and wash around the neck area. Dry off with a towel first and then use a hair dryer. Return birds into a clean house.

Fowl Mite is very persistent and regualr cleaning of the houses, and if you use pryrethrum powder, use every 8 days for 2 weeks

Look out for any of these mites around the place.

ETA- If it does not stop bleeding, use flour to prevent the bleeding [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. LisaLu

Dec 27, 2008
    Thank you so very much for the reply. I have washed her, and I can't see any mites but I'll dust them all anyway. Are these mites that can be seen? I plan to keep her caged up until she heals.

Do you think I'm giving them too many treats? They don't seem that interested in their mesh. I read that lack of protein can make them peck....what do you think?

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yes the main causes of pecking are lack of protein, boredom and crowding. Make sure you have all the bases covered on those. You may want to quit giving them rice and bread (high carbs and very little protein) and give them only greens (keeps them busy and happy, low carb) and protein treats such as sunflower seeds, unsalted fish, washed cottage cheese, lowfat plain yogurt, good quality cat food (small amounts due to salt). At one year old, she is right about the time to molt--check her over carefully, if she is losing feathers elsewhere, she is molting (not obviously pecked). The hens may be attracted to her bare flesh. Be careful with re-integration!

5. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:Agreed! [​IMG]

6. LisaLu

Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks so much. I'll make those changes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by