Buff Sussex - Pullet or Cockeral?

becastuff

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Australia
Can anybody help with the sex of this lil Buff Sussex chick?
Its about five weeks old.

Is that bird very large for 5 weeks? I have very limited experience but that seems closer to my broilers at 5 weeks than my dual-purpose. Am I doing something wrong? Are you doing something very right?

Is that bird very large for 5 weeks? I have very limited experience but that seems closer to my broilers at 5 weeks than my dual-purpose. Am I doing something wrong? Are you doing something very right?
It really is going to vary between birds because of genetics, amount of nutrition acquired, and environmental factors. His chick looks very healthy. You can get your chicks to feather out quicker by raising them outdoors. Indoor brooder chicks take more time is all.

This one is a lot bigger than the other chicks that are the same age, which are Australorps, a Rhode island red and a barred rock. They were all chicks put under a broody wyandotte and are outside. It is a big chick.

Wow, I'm impressed, I'm looking forward to having broodies raise my chicks. I have a couple of light sussex, 4 and a half weeks and they are not nearly that big, they spent the first week of their life in a warm room inside but have been in my greenhouse since.

Back
Top Bottom