Buff Sussex, Still not laying at 26 weeks

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Hello all, I have 2 buff sussex hens which are now 26 weeks and still nowhere near laying. Their combs are almost non-existent and have not fully developed. Compared to another buff sussex hen I have which has deep red comb and wattles and is laying since she was 24 weeks old.

Both this pair and the one hen that is laying were purchased as hatching eggs from the same breeder. However I am not sure if they are from the same 'lineage'

Do you think genetics could play a part or is it the cold weather & short days of winter ?

Hello all, I have 2 buff sussex hens which are now 26 weeks and still nowhere near laying. Their combs are almost non-existent and have not fully developed. Compared to another buff sussex hen I have which has deep red comb and wattles and is laying since she was 24 weeks old.

Both this pair and the one hen that is laying were purchased as hatching eggs from the same breeder. However I am not sure if they are from the same 'lineage'

Do you think genetics could play a part or is it the cold weather & short days of winter ?
Most likely the cold short days of winter, also genetics could be partially responsible. I have two different breeds right now four pullets that are all around nine months old and none of them have laid an egg yet. They most likely won’t lay until the day start to get longer.

Back
Top Bottom