Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
PLEASE HELP!
hide.gif

I have searched and searched and searched. No one can seem to even chance a guess at what this bantam chick is. He is a bantam with white skin, buff feathers, and a rose comb. The feed store (not TSC) could only say that it was a bantam. So, they had no idea. A Google search kept turning up a Rosecomb Bantam. However, buff is not an APA recognized color. I am completely lost at figuring out what breed this little one could be! I need to stop buying feed store chicks,
love.gif
but they are just so darn cute!

Last edited:
It is cute! It might be a "mutt". It happens at feed stores... when a chicken expresses a gene that has been dormant for a long time but came from long ago...
I have a wyandotte hen with a full comb! Obviously that isn't supposed to happen... but it did! It also looks like a buff orpington... but I don't know that those are bantam...

Straight combs are recessive, so you can get a straight combed crop-out from a rose combed breed like Wyandottes. But you shouldn't be able to get a rose combed chick from straight combed parent stock like an Orpington.

I'd call the feed store and ask what hatchery they used. The hatchery's web site or customer service may be able to help narrow things down. I know some hatcheries are doing more bantam Wyandottes, but I've not seen any bantam buff Wyandottes. He's kind of a stumper....I'll watch for any of the more educated bantam folks to come along
caf.gif

Just because its not a recognized colour doesn't mean that a breed won't appear that colour ;)
But my guess would be a Buff Rosecomb Leghorn Bantam :3

That is true. I found a Rosecomb club out of the UK that has a multitude of different colors, and buff was among them. There was also a mottled buff which was super cute!
love.gif
Maybe there needs to be some convincing on the American side to start including other color patterns that are already accepted in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom