Buff with lacing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I realized today this guy has what looks like some lacing, not really sure what it is. What do you think? Also what variety should I breed him to, to get some more birds colored like him? I wanna work towards a buff.

If you click on the immages they will enlarge really big, i took the pics with high resolution so you can get a good idea on what your looking at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks to me like the khaki in the Buff coloration has taken over. He may have lacing, but it looks way too smudged to actually be lacing. I think he was originally supposed to be a buff, but has both dun alleles, making him a khaki color, which is why he's so light yellowy gray. To use him for Buff birds, cross him to a bird with no apparent dun genes. This will make 100% offspring with dun coloration, much like blue/black/splash works.

3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    (your helping a genetic dumb person here)

So what variation would that be? What would i breed him to get dun too? Would I want to breed him to a black and then the f1 would be split dun?

He is currently in with this Hen, who I think is a red pyle?

[​IMG]

This is their offspring (hatched last week)
    [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She looks to me light a straight-on Khaki.

Think of it like Blue.

Dun (chocolate color often aiding in Buff coloration) x Dun = 50% dun, 25% black, and 25% khaki (Khaki is like splash, a very light grayish brown)

Khaki x Black = 100% dun

Dun x Khaki = 50% khaki, 50% dun

I'm not experienced with dun and khaki in chick stage, but from the stripes on those chicks I'd say you've got probably the works towards Buff or Buff itself, but with khaki/dun and something else interfering too much. The chicks almost look partridge in type, which may explain the rooster's color.

Honestly I think Sonaran or someone else would much better explain this. I've little experience with how khaki and dun affect colors and make them out to look like, except in E/E extended black. (solid black, blue, white, splash, dun, chocolate, lavender)

5. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Thank you! I really really appreciate it!

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep, I do raise a lot of dun and khakis,
    Those chicks are neither, dun will usually be variations of a smokey grey down, khakis, will be just that, a khaki yellow smokey color, even in patterns like the dun silver duckwings I have, it shows well in the areas it;s present at.
    If they are dun based, and that is a dominate white based hen, dun and dom white are on the same gene, so the dominate white may be over riding it.
    Breed him to a solid black. If it is expressing dun or khaki, you will see it instantly, if khaki, they will all be dun chicks, if dun they will be 50 50 black and dun.
    This will at least confirm or rule out the dun gene for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by