buff x barred rock=sex link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkie33, Apr 23, 2009.

1. silkie33

silkie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Carthage,N.Y.
    If you cross a buff rooster with a barred rock hen will you get sex link chicks? if so what color will they be? Thanks for any help.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Well--I don't know, i'm not an expert by any means. We won this chicken at the fair last year and I know she's a "mutt" I was thinking barred rock and buff orp....but I could be wrong.....this is my lovely "Sawdust"--thanks to my 9 yr old son:)
    [​IMG]

3. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Shes pretty. Yuo have to love mutts, and that name fits her very well, lol

vortec

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think you'd get sex-links, but try it and see. I got sex-links by crossing a standard Frizzled Blue Breasted Red EE roo to my barred rock hen - I was astonished! So you never know!

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Yes. Girls will be solid black, boys will be black with a spot on their head. As they grow older, the boys will develop barring with buff coloring leaking through in the hackle and saddle feathers. Females may exhibit color leaking in the hackle area.

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Most likely daddy was the barred rock and mama was the buff orpington. Sex linking with barring generally only works when the female carries the barring and the male doesn't.

7. silkie33

silkie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Carthage,N.Y.
    What about a yellow chick with a dark stipe on its head? Any ideas what color it will feather out to be/

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Nope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by