Buff x Black silkie!What color is this chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LadyinRed, May 15, 2010.

1. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Well! I think I grabbed the wrong egg to give the broody.. BUT IT SURE DID TURN OUT CUTE!!!! It came from my only rooster of breeding age, a handsome buff boy. And I think a black hen.

He just hatched not one hour ago. Black Betty(hen) sure did have a chick with a lot of fight in it early on. None of the others even started to zip and he is out and almost dry!!

Maybe someone can identify what color he will be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Can't see the pics, but I'd sure like to!

3. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What a cutie!

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little one was hatched by crossing a buff/blue Silkie roo and a buff Cochin hen.
    I think I sold it yesterday so I won't know what it will grow up like but have a few more maturing. I may not be able to hold on to them to even see what they will look like at adulthood. You can see the parents on my website under Silkies, which is under breeds from the home page. The roo is very pretty.

6. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:Wow! That chick almost looks like those lemon blue chickens.That would be awesome to get in a Silkie! The hen probably has the blue gene and the Rooster has one slightly lavender tail feather. Will put up pictures of both parents.

I will update with new pictures in a a few minutes after the rain desides to let up a little bit. It might just flood us again [​IMG] Oh well! Good day to live on a hill.

7. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    We have one with spots on its head and another dark blue-grey/yellow body and one that has that blue-grey and yellowish color all over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Black Betty the one I think laid the eggs and the Buff Rooster Twitch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And still I'm left questioning the color! [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They look to be grey & partridge. Whether the feather in properly is a whole nother thing, though.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The other chicks are not lemon blue.

10. LadyinRed

Sep 22, 2009
    Partridge? Ooh! Yay! [​IMG] Thank goodness someone can recognize what color they are and I wont be left guessing about them. Its not entirely a important thing as these cuties are not going to be having their own babies, seeing as mommy was not supposed to but will just be used as bloodies for a friend in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by