Buff X Lavender Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenfamilyfarms, Dec 13, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What would result when breeding a Buff Orpington to a Lavender Orpington?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    if you bred a couple generations to get the lavender gene expressed twice, it would hide the black color faults on your buff birds without actually correcting the problem.

Or you could end up with black birds that some times bleed through some variation of red/buff, and also could throw buffs, probably with a lot of black smutty feather pigment and the occasional lavender, if you crossed them back and forth a few generations.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think if you bred them for lavender like if the buff were a black, you would eventually get Buff Isobel, which is lavender diluted buff. Since lavender dilutes both black and red/gold.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with Rareroo. When one copy of lavender is present it does nothing to the appearance--there is no way other than breeding records to tell that it is present (or might be). When two copies are present it dilutes both black and red pigment. Isabel (lavender diluted buff) does NOT look at all like buff. Sort of hard to show the colour well on a camera, but here is an attempt of white, buff & isabel silkies:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, look at the "straw" colouring on a porcelain d'uccle; that is isabel.

Anyways, while it would dilute the black on a buff (rather than removing it as Onthespot mentioned) it would not really hide it as it would also dilute the buff. It would make a pretty bird (see my isabel), but it would not be buff. Blue works as Onthespot mentioned, however, helping to hide black pigment by diluting it. Blue however will not dilute the buff.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Thank you for posting those pics. I did not know that lavender diluted buff too! I thought it only worked on black.

Does anyone have pics of what does lavender do to choclate?

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I am bad at genetics, so lets see if I understand this: Lavender x Buff breeding can create the Isabel color?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I am bad at genetics, so lets see if I understand this: Lavender x Buff breeding can create the Isabel color?

Isabel IS lavender diluted buff. However, lavender is a recessive gene, so the first generation will create carriers of lavender, but the birds will not be isabel--their appearance will be buff, and there would be no way to tell that they carry lavender except for breeding records--they will look just like any other buff. If you cross those carriers back to a lavender or breed them together you will have a percentage of isabels: 50% when crossed to lavender, 25% when bred together. You also have to be concerned about the genetics of buff, which might be a reason to cross them together rather than to a lavender, who might produce birds with a lot more lavender in their appearance (of course, that may be what you are wanting--at this point that is pretty much what the porcelain silkies are).

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Patty are you talking about true chocolate or dun-based, I'm not sure that it would matter though, I'm pretty sure either way it would be just like if the cholates were blacks. I'm preety sure you would get Lavenders, since chocolate is a form of black pigment, not red.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop

Isabel IS lavender diluted buff. However, lavender is a recessive gene, so the first generation will create carriers of lavender, but the birds will not be isabel--their appearance will be buff, and there would be no way to tell that they carry lavender except for breeding records--they will look just like any other buff. If you cross those carriers back to a lavender or breed them together you will have a percentage of isabels: 50% when crossed to lavender, 25% when bred together. You also have to be concerned about the genetics of buff, which might be a reason to cross them together rather than to a lavender, who might produce birds with a lot more lavender in their appearance (of course, that may be what you are wanting--at this point that is pretty much what the porcelain silkies are).

Thank you so much Sonoran [​IMG] Yes, I am looking to breed for the Porcelain Silkie. But, also love the Isabel Silkies too. So, I might have to have 2 more pens built, if my husband will go for it.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Very interesting!!! This is something I may have to try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by