Buff x Lavender Roo bred to Lavender Hen - Silkies...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Candiss, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Can you tell me what color possibilities can come out of breeding a Buff x Lavender Roo to Lavender Hen... Thank you.

Candace

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Ohhh good question! I have a buff split to lav chick and was wondering the same thing! I will be keeping it if it turns out to be a roo or hen so I will be subscribing to this!

I would love to see pics of your roo! I will take some of my chick later!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You will have to explain what you mean by "buff X lavender roo." He is buff AND lavender, or one of his parents was buff and the other lavender?

4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    One parent was buff the other lavender.. Sorry..

Candace

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:So, what color is he? I know nothing about Silkies, but if he's a Buff x Lavender, I'd imagine he's Black, maybe leaking some Buff? [​IMG]

6. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    He is mostly blackish with alittle silver undercoat highlights with buff markings..

here is a pic not the best.

[​IMG]

Candace

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If his parent was lavender, he has one copy of lavender. Some offspring will inherit it and others will inherit his not-lavender gene. You will not be able to tell which ones inherit and which do not unless their other parent is lavender. In that case, the ones who inherited lavender from him will be lavender; the ones who are not lavender are split, having inherited the gene from Mama.

8. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Could I possibly get porcelain? Thank you.

Candace

9. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Well, Sonoran Silkies could probably tell you for sure, but from what I know, I'm going to say no - you couldn't get Porcelain. What you'd get are Lavenders, Blacks, and Blacks split to Lavender (carrying the Lavender gene), all of which could have the Buff "highlights".

Of course, all of that depends on the original birds (the Buff and the Lavender the roo came from) and the other Lavender you want to breed him to - if they're not "pure" and are carrying other hidden genes, there's no telling what you might hatch from them! [​IMG]

10. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I would like to breed him to a lavender hen.

Candace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by