Buffalo/Western New York/Snow

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by scooter147, Nov 20, 2014.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Anyone out there live in this area?

How are you?

What are you doing to cope?

How are your chickens and how are you getting to them?

Pictures to share?

I really do sympathize with anyone that is going through this it looks an insurmountable task.

2. CHICKYIF96

CHICKYIF96 New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Hey Scooter!

We picked up just under 7 feet that week- By far ( a few more feet at least) no where the worst of what fell north and west of us by just 4- miles-We started slow while areas just north got hammered, and then it got us good on 19 & 20- When a storm door fell off of our "coop", We dragged our 12 chickens and 9 ducks from their nice outbuilding, a few at a time, tucked into in cardboard file boxes back to our horse barn a few hundred yards away-
    It was better than a gym workout, but they are all digging their winter home (of course, just a day or so later, it rained and all the snow melted).

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I just watched the news in amazement. I can't imagine having to deal with that much snow. It must have been: WHERE DO I START!!

So all that snow is gone?

4. CHICKYIF96

CHICKYIF96 New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Yup- I t all melted, then we got a new 1 inches on Thanksgiving, which is also gone, and got a nice fresh white coating of about 3 inches on the ground here now-

Lake effect stuff is pretty amazing, I have a place about 24 miles straight north of here near Niagara Falls, and there is nothing but grass and the sun was shining the whole time- those snow bands are only 15-2 miles wide-

nothing that enough firewood, food and water, and beer can't tackle-

5. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Yeah funny how the lake effect bands set up. I from tip of mitt in michigan can be snowing 1-3in per hour here and drive 5miles away and Sun be shining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by