Buffet is served (Pics)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, Aug 2, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    My chickens have it way to good around my place.
    They have just finished off most of the figs and now it's all you can eat muscudines. I can't even go near the fig tree or muscudine vines without a bunch of begging chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    little EE's enjoying a fig.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the others in the flock
    [​IMG]
    This is the back of our garden,all along the fence line is muscudines, they go all the way to the coop in the far right corner of the pic.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking, Miriam

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They look so happy and spoiled. I had to look up what a muscadine was and they look tasty! Are they any good?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Around our place, they beg for blueberries off the bushes. They jump for the ones close to their heads and jump on ME to hold them up to eat the berries right off the bush. And muscadines are just like large grapes good for making wine and juice. They have really tough skins usually. My grandfather had a huge arbor full of them. Also, had scuppernongs, a similar thing, although my dad called them "Scupp-a-nines". Here's a link:
    http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa091998.htm

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They look so happy! [​IMG] Thanks for posting.

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    It's so nice to see happy hens!

6. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    There are some scuppernongs out in with the muscadines.. I just couldn't figure out how to spell "scuppernongs" & then I didn't even get muscadines right either. [​IMG] yall forgive me most of the time my spelling & grammar is way bad. [​IMG]
    We're going to get some more of those fence panels & make arbors for those vines next yr. Will be good cover for the chickens, so maybe they will venture out more towards the back of the property.
    Those vines are so loaded with fruit, it's unreal.We ran water lines out there & they have taken off.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Wow what a great idea! Does it take grape vines long to get to fruit bearing age? Using them for cover is a great idea too.

8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    My 11 week old Doms will NOT eat treats. They like their feed and they like oatmeal. They won't eat tomatoes even when I break them up and try to hand feed them, they won't eat grapes, and they won't eat squash. They will eat grass growing in the yard or from my hand. But if I pull up handfuls and throw it in their run, they won't eat it.

Mmmmm. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  9. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    peepsnbunnies, The new vines growing now will produce fruit next yr. They like lots of wayet & sun.The muscadines we have growing are the gold type.The ones that speckledhen mentioned grow wild out in the woods here.
    Wolfpacker, sounds like you have some picky & spoiled chickens,lol.Maybe try some mealworms.
    My chickens will eat just about anything. [​IMG]

10. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Oh yeah - they do like some bugs and slugs. They won't eat those little grey armadillo looking roly-poly bugs that you often find under bricks and things. These guys:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by