Buffet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rubyrogue, Jul 27, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    So I kept trying to convince my brother and dad that my chickens were the solution to the bug problem in the backyard. They have bought different sprays and powders and nothing has worked. This year is supposed to be the worst year since 1985 for grasshoppers. Hmmm havnt seen a hopper out in the field unless it was in one of my hens mouths. So after more than a month of no results since the last spray they finally said let your chickens in the backyard. Took a little convincing to get them through the gate but once they were in, they went to work. They are scratching and chasing and annihilating all the earwigs, beetles, grasshoppers and other crawly things that have made the backyard their home. My brother and dad are watching in awe as they go straight for the base of the trees and get all the yummys there and how they seem to know where the bugs are. They are also weeding and not eating the landscape (good chickens please continue only eating weeds [​IMG] ) The chickens are in heaven and my brother and dad have learned that nature knows best. Now I need to think of how to get them out of the backyard [​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Cool, I just wish I could get my chickens to eat the fire ants. I am tired of getting bit.

3. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    It seems to me we have fewer mosquitoes this summer since the girls arrived- but not sure if chickens eat mosquitoes?

4. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    It seems to me there are fewer mosquitoes since the girls have been here- not sure if they eat mosquitoes, though?

5. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:Mine do. I'll be hanging around the yard with them and one will just take off after one. Or pick em right off me. Good chickies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by