Buffs vs Pekins for 4H.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PickawayCountyFarmer, Apr 17, 2012.

1. PickawayCountyFarmer

PickawayCountyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    We purchased what was supposed to be Pekin ducks form a person when they were about 3 weeks old. They were the biggest ones that they had in the pen with about 30 other ducks. When I got the Health Papers from him I didn’t think anything about the other ducks on the order, as I took him at his word that those were indeed Pekins. Well now a couple weeks later and their feathers are starting to come in a nice shade of tan/fawn/brown….picture perfect Buff ducklings. We are now 8 weeks away from fair and I am concerned the Buff Ducks will not be up to weight like the Pekins would be.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are you going to try to show them as buff ducks or pekins? I don't think buffs grow as rapidly as most pekins would

3. PickawayCountyFarmer

PickawayCountyFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    She is taking Meat Ducks project and will be showing a pen of 2 ducks that will need to wiegh a total of 13 lbs. They've had Pekin and Muscovys shown in the past, but no Buff's. This is our first year with the poultry projects so not sure what to expect.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Buffs are medium weight class. Not what I would have chosen for a market pen. Saxonies are also buff in color and they are heavy class.

My Appleyards, who are very fast growing take 2 more weeks to reach butchering size than my Pekins. Saxonies might be the same. My light breeds of ducks take a month longer. I wouldn't count on buff ducks making it. A young Buff only weighs 7 pounds, and that is full grown.. No way he will make 8 pounds in 8 weeks.

Pekins are the only ducks I know that will make weight in 8 weeks. If you've got Saxonies and they are already 3 weeks, they will probably make it if they have 8 more weeks.

Today is Tuesday. Call Metzer and see if he can get you out some grimauld Pekins TODAY. If you get ducks hatched today, they will make weight in the 8 weeks that you have left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by