Buffs won't go into coop at night

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rustybry, Apr 23, 2017.

1. rustybry

rustybry Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    Jarrell. TX
    Hi
    Newbie here. We have 12 new pullets. 3 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Silver laced wydonettes and 5 Buff Orpingtons. All the birds go into the loft area at night except for the Buffs. We have to manually put them in at night. We brought them all home last Monday, the 17th. The Buffs went in the first 2 nights--since then they haven't. Any suggestions? TIA

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    1 person likes this.
  3. rustybry

rustybry Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    Jarrell. TX
    Thanks. I found that section after I posted it here.

4. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock.

You can try putting a flashlight in the coop - it tends to attract chickens to the coop (you can turn the flashlight off, once they are inside). It may also be a good idea to consider the size of your coop and roost space. If the omega birds feel threatened and cannot find a safe roosting spot, they may be reluctant to enter the coop.

Best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the problem may be aggressive roost mates that are harassing them. Buff orps are a docile breed and as such get picked on. I don't know much about Wyandottes but, have heard often of RIR being very aggressive.

1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hello again rustybry [​IMG]

I agree that a light of some description may be of assistance until they get used to settling in the coop. I heard a great tip the other day to use a solar garden light or similar; charge it in the sun during the day and it will gradually fade during the evening with no need for batteries or electricity etc.

However, I also agree with Diva that they might be getting bullied [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. rustybry

rustybry Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    Jarrell. TX
    Thanks all. We will try a light tonight and hope that does the trick. I hope they aren't being bullied [​IMG]. Will let you know how it goes.

9. rustybry

rustybry Just Hatched

Apr 23, 2017
    Jarrell. TX
    Yay! I am not sure what worked but tonight the girls were all in the roost! Today was the first time we let them out of the run into the fence area and they were very busy today. I put a light like you suggested about 10 minutes before sundown. I went out to check on them and they all were inside the roost! I double checked then said goodnight and secured their door! Thank you!! You guys are awesome![​IMG][​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

That is great news! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by