1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buffy :Questions and Her story:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggmachine11, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I have a hen named Buffy.I have had her since a chick and really enjoyed her.She Buff Orpington and is very dominant,but I have saw her doing odd things.

My question is:Buffy seems to cackle to other hens when they make the egg call.She did this after I introduced her to the adult flock which was maybe,a year ago?Why is she doing this?Her past is crazy.i had picked her up 1 day and sat her day,she hates being picked up.She then did the chickenwing to ME as if she was a rooster.What's up with that?(Also,this story was year ago)

2. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Please post a picture of her.

Have you seen her lay an egg? Possibly rooster?

3. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    She is a hen,I should have mentioned this was a LONG time back when she was a teen.

4. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    [​IMG]

5. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Could we possvky get a picture that shows her tail feathers? She's very pretty.

6. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I unfourtently don't havea Camera with me right now,but i could possibly get a old picture of her?

7. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio

Anyone that shows her tail feathers abf your sure its her and shes older then 6mos

8. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    She'll be two I think in March or May...

9. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    She doesn't have rooster hackles in the photo, I don't think it's a gender issue. If she was a 'he', 'he'd' have LONG show feathers on the tail.

Are you saying she lunged at you or attacked you when you handled her? My girls will fight a roo if he wants to breed and they DON'T. They lunged and hackle-up and kick just like another roo and tell him to back off. If she thought you were a roo trying to breed she was probably giving you a piece of her mind.

Sometimes I have multiple girls start cackling after one lays an egg. I think they're all just joining in the giddy together...

10. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Know,she just circled me with the chicken wing,never lunges at me,she isn't most defintly not aggressive towards humans.Maybe it's just she is so dominant?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by