Buffy's Nasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChikenChik, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ChikenChik

ChikenChik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    So my Buff O named Buffy...(I know totally UNoriginal but her FULL name is Buffy the Vampire slayer) has a nasty butt since she started laying eggs which coincided with yucky cold weather, She seems perfectly healthy and actually is enjoying the cold weather more than any of the others. she also has risen in status from bottom to like 3rd in our flock of 7. I deworm regularly. I am not seeing any really nasty poops either. I'm thinking its from laying her egg and then going under the coop where its kinda dirty but I am not really sure. I am wondering if I should try to bring her in and wash her up...she is pretty skittish so this probably would not be easy. I would of course dry her completely before taking her back out. or should I just let it be until spring? The coop is clean and none of the others have the problem although the white ones don't look as pristine as they do when they can dust bathe. Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If it were me, I would just keep an eye on things, and would do nothing unless her butt starts to appear irritated.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 Since it is winter I would hold off on a bath unless absolutely necessary.

You mention that your birds don't look as pristine as they normally do since they can't dust bathe?

If your ground is frozen, then try providing them with a tub of loose dirt, sand, ash or a mixture. This will allow them to dust bathe in winter and help keep mites/lice under control and help them clean up their feathers as well.

Here's some ideas:
    https://hencam.com/henblog/2011/03/winter-dust-baths/
    https://hencam.com/henblog/2014/03/winter-dust-bath/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  4. ChikenChik

ChikenChik Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Oh that's a good idea thanks! They dust bathe underneath the coop but I can't get under there to clean it out in the winter so I think its kinda dirty...the bad kid like wet and poopy. And the ground is probably pretty hard. I don't have ash....(Woodstove is on our wish list)...but I have sand and DE.Just need a couple of new litter boxes.I will have to put it out in the covered part of the run the coops not that big but it should work. I was actually considering doing sand in the coop but thought straw would be warmer. But they seem to be staying plenty warm so I might try it

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Placing in the run should work[​IMG]

Let us know how they are doing.

6. Kyfreeman

Kyfreeman New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Leipers Fork, TN
    I have an pair of scissors just for my orffington chickens. I give them a good sanitary feather cut back there.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by