bug-eyed chick??? died...update end of pg.1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cloverleaf Farm, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I had a chick hatch on Thursday (which was it's due date). It pipped early in the morning, and was all hatched out by early afternoon. The umbilicus was still attached, but dried up and fell off quickly. My question is, that it's head is really small, and it's eyes are HUGE. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? It does get up and walk around, but mostly lays around. I know it's drinking water, but don't know for sure if it's eating. It's in the hatcher by itself, because the other two chicks in the brooder attacked it.

I tried taking pics to post, but they aren't turning out good enough to really see what it's like in person....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Anyone have any ideas? And I'll update to say that I don't think that he's been eating on his own...I tried offering yogurt and boiled egg last night, and he was trying to eat it but not being real successful, so I ended up hand-feeding him last night...
    Thanks!

Went ahead and uploaded a pic from my cell phone...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2009
  3. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 In the Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    I hope you get some ideas - I have one that seems to be all legs, the body seems very small and it hasn't "fluffed out" yet (all the others have). Its in a smaller box inside the container since it was being pecked. It seems weaker too. I'll try the yogurt thing.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    is it very different from the other chicks? is it the same breed as them? I would think that if the answer is yes to both that there is some sort of birth defect. Will it survive it? possible as long as it can get around and eat it may just be a bug-eyed chook, but there also could be more wrong internally that you cant see.

hows it doing?

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:It is the same breed - they are salmon faverolles. The other two look like fuzzy little yellow easter chicks, and this one, well...just slightly smaller, but not as fluffed (although more fluffed this morning than yesterday), but his fluff is a little sparse over his back. His wing-tip feathers are starting to develop too. It looks like he was able to eat most of the egg I left in his house last night though, so hopefully the hand-feeding gave him the strength he needed. I will keep at it at least a couple times a day though.
    [​IMG]

And I've been sure to maintain all along with my son that it's not real likely to live, since there is something obviously wrong with it...but he did name it "Bugsy" - nothing like accentuating one's disabilities! [​IMG]

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    its hard to see in pic but it may just be a bit different. Good luck, with it I would say if it is eating and drinking and getting around ok that it will be fine [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think those fav chicks just look Pre Historic.

I also think it'll be fine.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:[​IMG] Well, this one definitely does, but the other two look like normal little yellow fuzzy butts!! [​IMG]

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Our little "Bugsy" died sometime last night while I was at work. I hate to say it, but I know it was for the best...she just was so "wrong" in so many ways. But she was sweet, and loved us as only she could...there is something about a helpless creature in need...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: