BUG in Poo-DEAD pullet Pls HELP identify

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherylcohen, Sep 7, 2010.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    So this is graphic...1st picture is of 4 mth old dead pullet - she died yesterday. We put her in a plastic bag to send her to the lab for necropsy. I went out to package her up and saw all these bugs!. So immediately went down and inspected both pens. I can't see any bugs near the girls vents at all!

However then I started examining poop. There is quite a bit of very mustardy running poo, but I thought that was normal. Until I examined this one and found these bugs/worms?

Can someone help identify it? I've never wormed my girls (if that's what it even is) before but I guess that's the next treatment??? I'd prefer a treatment where we can still eat the eggs, but I also don't want to lose anymore girls.

Help THANKS SO MUCH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Sorry about your pullet. The worm you are showing doesn't look like anything I've seen. The white "bugs" in the ziploc look like maggots forming from the dead pullet. How long have you had her in the ziploc bag?

Please go to this site and see if you can relate to anything there - it's a start.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Thanks I went to that site first, and nope no help. Yes in the bag is probably maggots, but only had her in the bag 1/2 day

4. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    1/2 a day is more than enough time for maggots to hatch. I'm not sure that you are dealing with worms - any other ideas as to why the pullet died?

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    No it's been hot here. I was out of town but I have a meticulous chicken sitter. They said she just one day decided to not leave the pen and then found her dead.

I'm concerned because the Poo I found these bugs in was from this morning inside their coop, so it came from another one of the 4 month olds.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    They look a lot like the ones I used in the past to clean off deer skulls. Damascus beetles. Eats dead flesh.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry Cheryl, no idea what those are.

8. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Quote:thanks I've been feeding them quite a bit of mealworms...but it surely doesn't look like one... [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree the ones in the bag are probably maggots......does not take long at all for the flies to lay eggs and the for them to hatch. I don't have any idea what the other is.

10. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Thanks Katy...agreed about the bagged ones.

I'm REALLY concerned about my flock with that other bug [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by