bug infested organic scratch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sue Wiles, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Sue Wiles

Sue Wiles New Egg

Aug 3, 2015
    we just had a hot spell and now my organic scratch is filled with 'critters' can i still feed it to the 'girls' or should i toss the bag?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I think it depends on the type of critters. Bug related, I'd say yes. Mouse or rat, I'd say take caution. But that's just me. I'd try posting on another forum. This one is a meet and greet. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would get a fresh bag hopefully from some other seller. I know chickens eat bugs but, I'd wonder if the feed was improperly stored, and what else may be in the bag. If it is very hot where you are and you have a large feeder that doesn't need frequent refills - the heat may be causing bug eggs to hatch. Or you don't use the amount of food fast enough to keep it fresh. How do you store your feed.?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

IMO toss the bag, you don't know where those bugs have been. And if it is old, it may also have mold even if you don't see it.

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I guess I'd be going back to wherever you bought the feed and take a sample of feed + bugs. I'd want either a refund (if you still have a receipt) or a fresh bag of feed. How are you storing the feed?

7. Sue Wiles

Sue Wiles New Egg

Aug 3, 2015
    thanks everyone the feed is stored in the bag it comes in which i place in 2 lawn and leaf bags then inside a metal garbage can. Sue

8. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's how I would have stored it too. Sounds like the bugs were already there when you got the feed...not something that got in it because it wasn't stored properly.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I would toss the feed or see if you can return it. It isn't worth the risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by