bug spray in grazing area?

Georgia Nana

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Kathleen, Georgia
We live in Coastal Georgia, and have always sprayed our yard with Cutter Backyard Spray to help with mosquitoes, gnats, and fleas. We have NOT sprayed since we got our 5 hens two months ago, and the mosquitoes are carrying us away! Will this spray hurt the hens who eat the grass if we wait for a day or so to turn them out on the yard?
hu.gif

I am curious as well...we sprayed too (as a last resort) about 3 weeks ago and I have been afraid to tractor the girls. We have cut the lawn twice since then. I was going to wait another week before putting them back out. They have an enclosed run they hang out in when they aren't in the tractor.
caf.gif

I have emailed the Cutter people, but they have not responded. IF and when they do, I will post. In the meantime, surely there is someone in the forum who has more experience with bug spray than we do!

`Best way is to dust your yard with food grade DE -diatomaceous earth. It will dry out, slice and dice the critters. Make sure that dogs and cats have been treated for fleas. While there are animal fleas there are also valley fleas. Both will come indoors via pets and populate your home then go back outdoors and re-populate your outdoors. So make sure that your home is free of flea. DE can be used on carpets too.
As for mosquitoes, gnats,. Both love moisture so make sure to remove standing water. Clean out water bowls every 1-3 days. Ponds can be treated with pond safe pellets to kill mosquito larvae. Potted plants that are indoors are a haven fpr gnats. An easy way to cure this is to remove a small amount of potting soil and replace it with play yard sand.
Outdoors around bushes and gardens you could use sand if you have a small garden but it is better to use redwood compost - pest hate redwood thats why it is great for home building.

Last edited:
We here on the coast adhere to all good husbandry practices with regard to fleas ( I don't have fleas, but don't want any, either), and other varmits, but here in the subtropics we are inundated with every nasty sand gnat and mosquito, etc. known to man! It takes spraying down shrubs and grass to be effective, but if we can't, then we'll just have to endure! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom