bug spray ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bisqit&Gravy, May 29, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    What can I spray that is safe to use with chickens and ducks?
    I always treat my yard and the perimeter for fleas/ticks and etc but this year I avoided the ducks yard and the chickens b/c my stuff wasn't safe.

There's no smell from them but I have flies like crazy, mosqitos(sp?), and something is eating my hosta, hydrangeas, cinnamon ferns and roses. The hostas/ferns/etc aren't the in ducks yard but uphill from them. And the roses are outside the pickett fence around the ducks.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
  3. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Why didn't I think of sticky fly traps?? Who knows but thanks for reminding me of those.
    Last year before I had the ducks and chickens I had flies just as bad as this year. I had those jugs with fly attracting stuff you mix with water and hang up. I can't do that again b/c every jug was full in a day. They smelled horrible!!!

I saw some poultry dusting powder in one of my catalogs that says it can use that in the yard, birds and on plants. Said it kills fleas, ticks and other garden eating bugs. I'm not that worried about fleas/ticks b/c I treated all around them and my dogs have never had fleas or ticks. I might read more on it and put it on my plants that are getting chewed on.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    For flies I use a fly trap, a stinky thing that I put water in and the flies all go in there. I really want a mosquito magnet.

I have a spray that is safe around food, and in the milking area. I got it at the feed store in Sarasota.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    In addition to the above, you might want to find the source of the mosquito larvae (water) and treat that (fence off so the birds cant get to it)
    Also have a ggod rake if you have lots of leaves and undergrowth which aids insect populations.

7. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Bisqit&Gravy :

I had those jugs with fly attracting stuff you mix with water and hang up. I can't do that again b/c every jug was full in a day. They smelled horrible!!!

Try having one fall onto your kitchen floor and splatter everywhere! Ugh! It was such a horrid smell! I had to mop many many times. We were tearing up floors on the main level, and most walls... and the windows/doors were all open, and the house was getting overrun by all the flies. We used the fly paper after that mess! Yuk!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by