bug spurs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by toad62, May 25, 2010.

1. toad62

toad62 In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Wibaux, Mt
    we have a RI rooster with spurs almost an inch and a quarter long, can they be trimmed and how short? Some of the hens seem to be really roughed up, bare skinned on their backs.......... thanks

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Songster

May 7, 2010
    i read somewhere that you can take a potatoe cook it in microwave for a few minutes, cut it in half and stick each spur into a halve of potatoe and leave it on there for like ten minutes or so and that the spur can then be twisted off leaving behind just the kwick of the spur that will then hardened up within a short time ( within a week if I remember correctly) Apparently the combination of heat and moisture from potatoe softens bind between spur and spur growth plate allowing the extra length to be removed.

I have no personal experience with this however, so maybe someone with more experience can chime in and correct me???

good luck!

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
  4. toad62

toad62 In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Wibaux, Mt
    Thanks, good pics. I saw another thread where they pop them off, not as topugha job as I thought it might be!! Thanks again...

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In addition to trimming his spurs, you might want to trim his toenails with a dog nail clipper. Toenails can do as much damage as spurs to hens' backs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by