Bug that are a red,but have wings,Termites?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThePRfan, Jan 17, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I had my hen,Buffy a buff orp sitting on my lap inside.I was petting her,then notice something on my face,I thought it was a flea,but I grabbed it and it jumped from buffy feathers,and it was light orange/light red with wings.

Thanks,ThePRfan!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what the unknown insect was. I would recommend posting your question in the Predators and Pests section of the forums: Predators and Pests Members there who are knowledgeable about insect pests should be able to help. [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Probably a red mite, at night go with a torch and look in the coop for signs of mite eggs and check at the base of the hens feathers and vent for signs of mites and egg casings.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I don't think it was a mite if it had wings...and they are very tiny...so are the lice. If you could see wings, then it had to be large enough to see...and that's not the mites I've come in contact with.

Here is a link which shows what poultry lice and mites look like:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/chickens-health/red-mite

I agree to post on the predator/pest thread and see if you can figure out if it is poultry or wood pest. Termites won't bother chickens, but they sure would eat up your coop house. Some of them can have wings.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by