Bug zapper = tasty chicken treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by StillwaterCreek, Apr 30, 2009.

1. StillwaterCreek

StillwaterCreek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Northeast Arkansas
    I happened to be out on our back porch last night "admiring" the swarms of beetles and bugs attracted to the porch light, which led me to think about getting a bug zapper. Then I thought: Wow, wouldn't it be great to be able to give the chickens all those bugs? Turn a nuisance into treats and protein! In my mind's eye I devised some sort of tray or bowl to hang beneath the zapper to catch them. I could then give the chickens a treat most every morning...

Is this crazy? Good idea? Anyone else doing something similar?

2. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    sounds like a good idea to me!

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    You can try but usually the chase to get them is the fun part and they will perfer them to be alive!

We catch bugs in the yard and put them in the coupe. It is so funny! One will get it and it wounds up looking like a basketball game. They chase each other try to steal the ball, dodge a chick, dive, duck then slame down the pipe it goes!

OK we don't do much but play in our yard. I know but it is ceap entrainment and the chicks love it![​IMG]

4. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    if the chickens like bugs they will eat them
    give it a try and see what happens

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I figured I could just set up a light for them, so they could try for the bugs. I really don't want the chickens sticking their beaks on my zapper, yowza!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Ours always run over to the zapper, to eat all the toasted bugs in the morning. Then they run off to forage for the day. Live bugs, toasted bugs, they like them all!

We use a zapper with a screen that keeps out small birds and the large moths.

7. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    I haven't done it but I think I will hang one above their run [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    I'd been contemplating making a screened box to place one of those japanese beetle traps into and staking that in the chicken's run. Figure the trap will attract the beetles, hit the screen and then the chickens will have a field day running and catching them.

It'd be fully enclosed to prevent the chickens from accessing the attractant trap itself.

Goes along the line of what you're thinking.. Just in a different way.. [​IMG]

9. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Our chickens eat almost every bug... including ticks and they try to lunge for misquitoes. [​IMG]

10. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    So long as they catch the slow, bulky, huge male mosquitoes, I'll be a happy camper for sure.. [​IMG]

I hate mosquitoes.

I hate ticks more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by