Buggie Snacks, crickets, mealworms, waxworms OH MY! but Where to buy??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BloominOrchid, Aug 21, 2010.

1. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Hi all Just wondering where you all get your buggie snacks from.
    Im looking to buying LIVE bugs in bulk. we have a few handfuls of chickens, and well another handful of lizards [​IMG]
    And Id like to get some for the whole family of critters. But before I go and spend $20 plus on shipping I wanted to see if anyone had good reports??
    I know I can get them from my local petstores but Id rather not pay the mark ups!
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Get roaches! Best thing I ever invested in, my bearded dragons and leopard geckos have all the food they could possibly want. I even have plenty to spare for my chickens, I throw out 10 roaches a day for mine. They have the best feathers ever, and their yolks are so orange. No, these aren't the pest roaches you see around. The roach I'm breeding is Blaptica dubia, an exotic roach which does not smell, jump, fly, climb, bite, or breed out of control. Go to www.theroachguy.com for more details. I no longer buy insects for my lizards.

3. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    [​IMG] Really?? Wow thats neat... so they wont take over my house? BC Id burnt he house down! [​IMG] I hate roaches!
    We have Uromastyx, Lep Geckos, & water dragons.
    Im sure my chicks will love them, they eat anything I give them...except Black berries, they didnt like them [​IMG]
    Thanks! going to check them out now
    [​IMG]

4. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    I get all my crickets/mealworms from petsmart. Not to expensive, and they have all been alive so far! Not to shabby. [​IMG]
    If you don't have a petsmart, most big brand pet stores carry insects.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Check out the reptile supply places, sometimes thet have discounted shipping. I raise my own mealworms nor for my geckos and my chickens.....When I lived in FL I used to buy a big case of crickets at the reptile show (twice a year) and keep them in a big spare terrarium with a screen to (outside....I hate bugs). Now I live in WI and only do the mealworms as I don't mind having them in the workshop in the basement. No smell, easy to do and you can get started on a larger scale if you just order 1000 or so mealworms once. Also, some of the petstores have better prices than others on crickets, don't buy the little pre-packaged kind, they are usually more expensive. Check out several petstores also baitshops. Many places sell a variety of bugs as fishing bait....waxworms, spikes and worms. Some stuff may not be OK for the reptiles though.....

6. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I ordered my mealworms in bulk from petco.com. So far so good!

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

if you are making a colony of incests get bate to start with from a fishing place- let them breed and feed that.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Grow your own mealworms! They are easy and cheep. I have a link on my BYC page that shows you how. If you don't want to grow your own bugs, I'd recommend FLuker Farms in LA (http://www.flukerfarms.com/?gclid=CIuL352mzaMCFRs2gwodakliuA). I used them for years to get crickets (1000's per week for years) and they were great to deal with. I'm still thinking about the cockroaches that Pet Duck Boy is advocating; they seem almost ideal (if you can get past the cockroach part and all the hissing [​IMG]). I just don't know if I can get my family to go along with that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by