Buggy licey mitey things?? pics

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ella98, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ella98

ella98 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Hello,
    These buggy things have infested my chicken house and we think killed my broody chicken they are grey browny black in colour and have little stripes on their back and our 0.03mm-0.07mm
    and they don't seem to crowd together at night and don't seem to live on the chickens
    thankyou
    (just follow the links to the pictures)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi ella98, are you sure the units are right on the size? That would be about as thin as paper.

3. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Do you see evidence that they suck blood if you don't see them on the chicken? Can't really tell the size. Do they walk around in the daylight?

4. ella98

Feb 19, 2010
    sorry they are more about 3mm when they are full grown and they don't appear to suck blood but i'm not sure and they are always out during daylite
    thankyou

5. ella98

Feb 19, 2010
    had my decimal point in the wrong place

6. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    Try checking in your feed, mix it up and watch if anything is crawling around in it.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mites have 8 legs, insects, which include lice and grain moths, 6 legs. The grain moths are not particular threat to your birds, but they significantly affect the quality of the feed. They can e a problem in hot weather and in old feed.

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Isopod or woodlice?

9. ella98

Feb 19, 2010
    i don't think they are grain moths because they don't have wings and what do lice look like they came when we brought a new chicken house which is made out of chipboard if that helps thankyou

10. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'd still say woodlice or some kind of isopod. Both live in warm damp places and feed off decaying organic matter, or in this case, whatever a chicken would leave behind. If they are fast-ish moving then that's what ya got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by