Bugs. Are these okay for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by niqueie, Oct 10, 2013.

1. niqueie

niqueie Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to chickens. Is there any naturally occurring bugs that are bad for chickens and 1.5 month old chicks. My kids and I went for a grub hunt after the rain and I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing by feeding them to my chicks. Let me know soon if you can. I have wigglers on my table in a bowl waiting to make sure. THANKS!!![​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. niqueie

Thanks so much. My girls definitely loved them. I noticed them in my composter. Now I see them on the ground. I guess I have been lucky to have them happen upon me.

Is there any bugs that I should watch out for. I'm assuming black and brown widows are dangerous. We have tons of them unfortunately.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Rose Chafer Beetles are on the do not feed list, http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG189/html/Rose_Chafer.HTML Anything that bites or stings you want to be careful with ... chickens will eat them if they find them of course, but sometimes they do get bitten / stung. If you happen to collect them and want to feed them you can freeze them and then feed them to the chickens, like wasp nests etc. Some bugs like Milkweed bugs you don't want to feed because of what they eat they become poisonous to some extent, in general if the bug eats a poisonous plant it may be to some extent. A lot of bugs/snails/worms are possible intermediate host to tape worms, but they are about impossible not to feed and should not be a problem to healthy birds that are checked and kept utd on worming etc.

5. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    pretty much says it there.

6. niqueie

Thanks so much for the info. It was so timely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by