Bugs Bugs and More Bugs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laursink, Sep 6, 2007.

1. laursink

laursink New Egg

Sep 6, 2007
    Hello! And I cannot spell mosquito very well! We seem to suddenly be infested with the darn things. We live in a very rural area and are in a woods that has a lot of dampness. My biggest problem is the coop and the fact that I am pregnant so I have to be careful. I have no idea why my coop has so many this year. Last year we did very well. I have about 13 Guineas and 27 various chickens. Any ideas?
    I do have a hubby that can use harsher chemicals but what will not harm my birds?
    Thanks so much!!!!
    Laura in Ohio

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds to me there might be some sort of dampness in the coop? You can get stall dry....or Sweet PDZ....sprinkle it all over the coop floor, nest boxes...around the feeder and waters. This will help dry things out and hopefully rid of those pesky skeeters. Also, try a fan, circulate the air more.

3. laursink

laursink New Egg

Sep 6, 2007
    Thank you so much...Having hubby check right now. Of course, he does not think it is damp...it is. Why else would there be 700 million skeeters!
    I am ready to try anything!
    Will let you know if it helps!

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi, I use is fans to keep them off of my chickens. I have a rather large coop & have about 12 box fans going 24/7. Them skeeters love to hide in the shade during the day. We have them really bad here.
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. laursink

laursink New Egg

Sep 6, 2007
    We are using a fan, but still the skeeters. Could not find stall dry or Sweet PDZ (Any ideas?) and did buy a zapper last night and that helped a bit. They are so bad this round. Not enough fogging to go around!
    Thanks
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by