Bugs in Feed

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by patrickfoy1, Aug 29, 2016.

1. patrickfoy1

patrickfoy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I just found some very small black bugs in the cracked corn that my chickens love to eat... is it ok to continue feeding them this feed or should I discontinue feeding them this and get more...we use this as a treat.... they go crazy for it... just not sure about the bugs...

Appreciate any input......

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens eat bugs but I can't answer definitively. If there are bugs in grain, IMHO, the grain is either old or poorly stored.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

X2... but if I found bugs in one of my bags I think I would get rid of it, clean my bins, then get a fresh bag.

-Kathy

4. patrickfoy1

patrickfoy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2016
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Thank you Kathy.... I did exactly that..... found that my feed store sells the crack corn by the pound.. :)
    so I don't have to buy a 25 pound bag that will go bad..... appreciate your answer.....

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Excellent!

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

7. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    We bought feed from TSC one time that had bugs it. We called them and told them. We took it back over, so they could dispose of it, as we didn't want to just throw it in our trash and have a possible infestation throughtout our entire yard, not knowing what they were.They took it back with no problem, and we got another bag, bug free. It's important you let the store know, so they don't get their stock contaminated, too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    It is never recommended to feed your chickens food or grains that have live bugs in it. Chances are that the birds are not going to get all of the bugs, and we don’t want those insects spreading throughout your farm or household where they can contaminate other things. I would recommend tossing this feed out and getting a fresh batch.

9. UtePassChickens

UtePassChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    i would get food grade DE and add a bit to the chicken feed, this will kill any bugs before they become a problem.. there is also mixed studies as to whether the chickens eating DE will help control internal parasites as well...so may have added benefits. we add a bit to the chickens food and sprinkle around coop and run as well....

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    One of the feed stores around here had bags of feed for half price. I checked the manufacture date and it wasn't too old and was about to buy it when I noticed a sign that said the reason for the sale was that the feed was infested with bugs.
    I'm sure a bunch of people still bought it.

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by